IN THE BEGINNING THERE WERE TWO, AND THEN THE TWO BECAME ONE.

Belview United Methodist Church is a blending of two original churches—New River and Pineview. On June 25, 1971, New River Methodist and Pineview Methodist Churches voted to merge together and build a new church. In 1973, the first service was held in the present church building of Belview United Methodist Church.

NEW RIVER

The first building was a one-room structure with a balcony built for slaves, a custom of the time around the civil war. The Church had only natural light and no flooring. It was located across from what is now the entrance to the Radford Army Ammunition Plant, Rt. 114 and built in 1873.

The second New River Church was built on a four acre tract where the Radfor Army Ammunition tower is today. The land was donated by the Flannagan family. The church had one room, plaster walls, two stoves and lighting furnished by oil lamps. The small building was purchased by the Government in 1941. The members met in homes for a time.

The third New River Church was built in 1943 about one mile from the second location. It was a one room white stucco block building heated by a stove. Four classrooms were later added.

PINEVIEW

In 1920, a three week tent revival was held on Rt. 114. The revival was such a success it was decided there was a need for a church. The building was started in 1921 on land donated by Dave Poff and Jim Croy and located across from the present Massie Mobile Home Park. The building was heated by a stove and oil lamps were used for light. The church was completed in 1928 and named Pineview for its location in a pine grove. Class rooms were added in 1962.

 

  September 2017  
SMTWTFS
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
     
Bible Search
Contents © 2017 Belview United Methodist Church | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy